Hello my Bright and Happy People! Now that we are back with our regularly scheduled program, we are going to tackle the topic that I was going to do last week. The marketing strategy plan! Dun, dun, dunnnnn. Now that I got that out of my system, I want to go over creating your marketing strategy plan and why this is such a big deal for your business.
Kaylee, what the heck is a marketing strategy plan? Well, I'm glad you asked, my bright and happy people. A marketing strategy plan is a plan that helps you figure out how you're going to tackle the big scary concept of marketing and what strategies will work best for you and your business.
Now, there are many different ways to create a marketing plan and there are different things that you can add or leave out of the plan. After you complete this, it will by no means be a finite and finished document. Think of this as a living piece of your business. As I'm sure you all know, marketing and the tools to market with are always changing and it wouldn't be good business practice to stick to the same strategies when everything has changed. This plan should change with your business. You should be finding new ways to connect with your audience and you should update it when you find something works or doesn't work for your business.
Let's talk over the categories that you want to include in this plan. You can always add more or take away some that don't apply to your business, but these are the general categories that every marketing strategy plan should encompass:
- Business Overview: This should be a general statement that talks about what your business does. This should be the answer to the "what do you do" question. You want to really talk about who you are going to help them and how you are going to do it.
- Business Goals: Look closely at your overall needs and identify where you want to be. I want you to really think about what the point of your business is. What are you trying to accomplish with it?
- Marketing Objectives: Where do you want to be in 6 months? How many followers? Who is in your following?
- Ideal customers: This is kind of obvious, but who exactly is your audience? Are they 20 year old women who are just starting a business or women who have been doing this a few years? Don't spend all of your time on this, but make sure that you have a pretty good idea of who you are trying to get in touch with.
- Competition Strategies: You want to find out what your competition is doing. You don't want to copy them - that's not original and your audience will know that. Pick 3-4 competing companies and check out which social networks they're on, how many times they're posting a day/week, and what kind of content they are posting. Make you sure are also taking a look at how/if they are engaging with their audience when someone comments or asks a question. This way you can get an overview of what is and isn't working for others and start steering your social media in this way.
- Channels and Tactics: This is where you start making your decisions. You decide which social media channels you need to get your brand on and which ones you are truly going to focus on. You also need to decide how many times you want to post to which channel and what you are going to be posting.
- Content Strategy: This category helps you come up with what type of content you want to focus on. Are you interested in making videos or images? Do you want to show that you are educated or that you are relaxed and can be funny? You want to make sure that the way you present your content is in line with the way you want your brand to be viewed. If you aren't sure how you want your brand to be viewed, head on over to my post about marketing so you can figure it out.
Don't forget - you can always add or take away categories, but these are the categories that I feel will give you the best overview of where to start and go from your current position. Awesome, so we got through all of that and everyone is feeling pretty comfortable with this content right? Don't worry if you aren't. I will be going through my own marketing strategy plan during the video on Tuesday and I can answer any additional questions you may have during my Periscope session!
Dun Dun Dunnnn! It is now time for some Actionable To-Dos! I'm a bit excited...don't judge. I love to learn new things and am constantly reading and watching videos that can help me expand my knowledge. The content that I love the most is content that I can take some action from. I don't really have to think about what my to-dos will be, they just give them to me to do. Therefore, I will be helping you do the same! Here are this week's actionable to-dos:
- Start working on your rough draft.
- You should be downloading the worksheet at the end of this post and filling it out. Don't print it and then let it sit on your desk in a folder, lost and sad that it will never feel the smooth swirls of pen ink. Don't be that cruel. Use it! Print it and DO something with it!
- Figure out where the heck you are with marketing right now.
- Do you need some more help? Do you want someone to make this plan for you? I offer Marketing Strategy Plan services and I would love to do this for you! (No, seriously. I would. Its kind of my jam.) Click here for more information.
- Figure out what your initial numbers are and give yourself something to compare to before you start implementing new strategies. This way you can see what works and what doesn't for you personally.
- Create a system to keep up with your marketing.
- Will you work on your marketing an hour every day? Will you work on your marketing for one day a week? Will you schedule your social media posts ahead of time? Are you going to use Hootsuite or Buffer? Where do you go next? (P.S. I also offer virtual assistant services so if you don't really feel like working on marketing, let me do it! This is my Peanut Butter to my Jam.)
That's about all I have for this week. When you've finished the worksheet, put your answers in a comment below! Also, I will be holding a Periscope Q&A on this topic on Tuesday, August 11th at 4pm Pacific time. Put your questions below and I will answer all of them on Tuesdsay! See you there.